What is plasticizer?

Article courtesy of Smooth-On, Inc.

Plasticizer is effectively chemical water.  It goes by multiple names: plasticizer, water-reducer, super-plasticizer, high-range water-reducer, etc.  In GFRC, it allows for adequate working properties of the slurry at a low water/cement ratio.


This FAQ article is offered as a guideline and offers possible solutions to problems encountered during mold making and casting. No warranty is implied and it is up to the end user to determine suitability for any specific application. Always refer to the provided Technical Bulletins (TB) & Safety Data Sheets (SDS) before using any material. A small scale test is suggested to determine suitability of any recommendation before trying on a larger scale for any application.