Some Smooth-On platinum silicones are certified safe for food contact. Smooth-Sil® 940, Smooth-Sil® 950, Smooth-Sil® 960, SORTA-Clear® 40, SORTA-Clear® 37, SORTA-Clear® 18 and the Equinox® Series are suitable for making baking molds and trays, ice trays, casting butter, chocolate and other applications used to produce foods.
These materials have been tested by an independent laboratory to comply with the total extractive limits when properly processed and heat cured. Refer to the technical bulletins for these materials for proper processing instructions.
Compliance – The ingredients and ingredient levels in Smooth-Sil® 940, SORTA-Clear® 40, SORTA-Clear® 37, SORTA-Clear® 18 and the Equinox® Series comply with U.S. 21 CFR 177.2600, rubber articles for repeated use subject to the total extractive limits as specified and published in the Code of Federal Regulations. FDA compliance does not mean that Smooth-Sil® 940, 950, 960, SORTA-Clear® 40, SORTA-Clear® 18, SORTA-Clear® 18 and the Equinox® Series are FDA approved. To be approved, the user must also comply with all applicable FDA requirements. Compliance with U.S. 21 CFR 177.2600 does not authorize use of the compound for the manufacture of baby bottle nipples.
Using Mold For Baking
- Place mold on a baking sheet for greater stability and handling.
- Do not expose rubber to temperatures above 400°F (204°C).
- Do not subject molds to the broiler. Silicone rubber does not distribute heat evenly.
- Food in shallow molds will bake faster vs. deep draft molds. Thick sections will retain heat longer than thin sections. Check frequently for doneness on first use.
- Clean molds with soapy warm water and a soft sponge and rinse thoroughly between batches or prior to storing. You can dry the mold quickly in an oven. Bake for 5 minutes at 300°F (150°C).