Lifecasting Using HYPER-FOLIC® - An Important NEW Lifecasting Tool
Gallery courtesy of Smooth-On, Inc.
HYPER-FOLIC® Release Additive is a non-toxic, skin conditioning liquid that is mixed with Body Double® silicone mold rubber prior to applying rubber to the skin. HYPER-FOLIC® will not only aid in releasing cured rubber from the skin but will also release cured rubber from hair-covered skin surfaces (closely cropped beards, moustaches, eye-brows, pubic hair, etc.)
• Body Double® with HYPER-FOLIC® will still bond to itself.
• Little or no release cream residue in the cured rubber means your mold is immediately ready for casting.
• Used as directed, HYPER-FOLIC® has minimal affect on the tear strength of Body Double®, allowing for an extremely strong mold.
• HYPER-FOLIC® does not affect the skin safety rating of Body Double®
How Does HYPER-FOLIC® additive affect Body Double mold rubber?
• It will lengthen the pot life and cure time of Body Double® silicone.
• It will slightly reduce the tear strength of cured Body Double® silicone.
• Cured Body Double® rubber may shrink slightly over time vs. Body Double® without the additive.
In this sequence, we will mix HYPER-FOLIC® with Body Double® rubber components (100A + 100B + 40 Parts HYPER-FOLIC®) and apply. The result of this technique is that the Body Double® mold rubber will completely penetrate facial or body hair and capture detail from underlying skin. Hair detail will mostly not be reflected in the finished mold or reproduced during casting. This technique is often used for prosthetic make-up applications.
Another option is to apply Body Double® Release Cream to the skin and facial or body hair. Mix HYPER-FOLIC® at a reduced amount with Body Double® rubber components (100A + 100B + 20 Parts HYPER-FOLIC®) and apply. The result of this technique is that the Body Double® mold rubber will partially penetrate hair and hair detail will be reflected in the finished mold or reproduced during casting.
Doing a Full-Head Lifecasting? We recommend that the subject wear a non-latex bald cap.